For those who enjoy tranquility and space, nature and hiking as well as visiting authentic villages, markets, festivals or local museums, you will find this a charming and unique place to visit. And all this in a southern atmosphere with friendly locals and a warm climate.
For sporty families there is the Tepacap climbing park. Other outdoor activities: hiking, swimming, tennis, canoeing, horse-riding, hiking, swimming lakes (Samatan, Saramon, Saint-Blancard) and cycling. On a 5 minutes drive you find a 9 hole golf course where you can golf seven days a week.
To discover the Gers you can contact Pass’en Gers for excellent tours by experienced (english speaking) guides.
A little bit further
The gite is also an excellent base for excursions to the Pyrenees Mountains (about an hours drive), with a range of activities like canyoning, parapenting and wintersports like skiing, dog sled trails, etc. The famous town of Lourdes is on a ninety minutes drive.
Interesting visits can be made to Toulouse which has an international airport (1 hour away) and the charming town of Auch (half hour).
To see, to do
- at 10 km, Lombez: timbered houses around the cathedral and the old market hall. Maison des Ecritures, pool, supermarkets.
- at 12 km, Samatan: market on mondays, shops. In july and august: soirées gourmandes, dining in the streets. Swimming lake, public pool, library, cinema, tennis.
- at 10 km, Simorre: fortified church with audio guide, Musée Paysan d’Emile.
- at 15 km, Boulaur: cistercien abbey.
- at 15 km, Cazaux-Savès: Château de Caumont.
- at 27 km, l’Isle Jourdain: market on saturdays, shops, swimming lake, Musée Campanaire Européen, donkey sanctuary Asinerie d’Embazac.
- at 25 km, Gimont: market on wednesdays.
- at 35 km, Auch: cathedral with unique leaded windows, mediaeval streets, the monumental stairs, Maison de la Gascogne, cinemas, theatre, indoor pool.
- at 50 km, Sarrant: one of the « most beautifull villages of France », mediaeval festival, the « book & snack shop » librairie-tartinerie.
- at 60 km, Toulouse the pink city: Place du Capitole, the historical centre, various museums, Airbus guided visits, boat tours on the river Garonne, walking tours with a dutch (english speaking) guide.
- June: Auch, festival Eclats de Voix.
- 1st weekend of july: Simorre, children’s festival Festidrôle.
- Around the14th of july: Mirande, Country Music festival.
- End july: Vic-Fezencac, Tempo Latino.
• Gers, Nuits Musicales en Armagnac.
• Lectoure, l’Eté Photographique.
• Various local events: theatre, concerts, night markets, public feasts, flea markets…
- First two weeks of august: Jazz in Marciac.
- 4th weekend weekend of august: Samatan, Salon des Antiquaires.
- 1st weekend of september: Samatan, Sam’Africa.